Custom Search

2012-06-09

Thicknessing the top

Although the rosette wasn't perfect, I continued on working on the top.
I use my good old #4 Stanley plane for the thicknessing.
When I started planing I noticed that there is some run-out so I had plane one side of the top and then turn over and plane the other side in the opposite direction.
If I don't do it this way there will be some tear out.
When the rough thicknessing is done, I cut the sound hole.
The bridge area of the lower bout is about 2.5mm and perimeter about 2mm.
Right now the upper bout is still pretty thick but I plan to take it down to about 2mm.
The top weighs about 159g which is heavier than my #2 top (133g before bracing).
I plan to reduce the UB further to try to bring it down to 140g region.



Planing the thickness down using my #4. Due to run out I had to plane in an opposite direction for the 2 different sides.

The shaving.

Cutting the sound hole using my circle cutter. I cut one side then flip over and scribe the other side.

Weight of top is 159g

Can see the silking on the top after planing.

The #3 top and the back

After some more thinning of the UB, it dropped to 145g. Well I guess I can leave it for now.

The bracing pattern for this build. It's slightly different from Torres fan. I leave out one fan on the treble side and add a treble bar. Also I add in the Bouchet bar across traversely at the bridge region. On the bass side I remove the closing bar.

No comments: