Custom Search

2012-06-26

Splitting the Brace

Though I haven't really completed the rosette for #4, I decide to work on #3 a bit more.
I began to prepare the brace blank.
I had a good brace blank from Shane of High Mountain Tonewoods so splitting them was quite easy.
My previous experience wasn't easy as the LMI stock had quite some runout.
This time round at first I try to chisel and then split but that didn't quite work out.
So I ripped saw the 1st part (cater for more allowance, I need 7mm wide I but I split at double width 14mm), and then use the chisel to split.
After that I analyse the split and look at the grain and then plane it to shape.



Splitting the brace blank.

Using the chisel to split

Planing to size
After splitting and planing the brace, I shoot them to get a good gluing surface.
Following that, I saw the brace into 1/2s since I only need 7 mm wide 3 mm tall, I can get 2 braces from one blank.
Each is about 14mm thick.
After some work here is roughly the brace layout.



Sawing the braces into halves to get 2 brace.


Rough brace layout.


The bracing layout. After I sawn the closing brace and treble bar into 1/2s

No comments: