Well before I can close the box, I need to glue in the side struts, prepare the back brace and glue in the lining and profile the back.
I made the radius stick previously and use it to good effect.
First I just check the profile and bring down the side profile by block plane.
When it's almost fitting then I tape some sandpaper to the radius stick and sand to match.
The back profile is now very fitting.
Next I will need to make 3 back braces and glue in the lining and do the final fitting process again.
I also took the opportunity to do some spring cleaning, as it's near Chinese New Year.
It's customary to do spring cleaning before the CNY.
Well, in a way it's good as it helps to keep my workshop organised.
I did a stock count of the fingerboard blanks and bridge blanks and back/sides tone wood too.
The sanded profile. Noticed the waist area is slightly higher than the rest? If not when the back is glued on, you will noticed a dip in the waist area like a violin waist.
Not much done but I managed to split the back brace and plane to size and radius the bottom on the radius stick.
After that I cut the notch in the lining block for the 2 back brace.
The lower bout brace pocket is stil not yet done.
After that will be sanding to shape using the radius stick.
I expect the sanding will take some time and effort to get the correct curvature dome.
I glued up the side struts and fitted the last back braces.
Overall it looked kind of impressive with all the side struts.
Other than the 3 main ones on each side, there are about 5 more in between.
I used the hide which I prepare the other day.
After the glue had dried, I remove the clamps.
Boy it looked like a complicated structure with all the side struts...
After the glue had dried. It look complicated with all the side struts especially the 3 big massive ones.
I put in the back brace and check for the fitting with the radius stick.
The back braces form a curve is that more curve than the radius stick.
I have 2 choices after I glue in the lining; to fit with my old way of using the block plane or to sand and shape every thing using the radius stick.
Well till when I put in the lining then I decide the best approach.
Also I shave down the side braces; they are too stout
Well I should have shaped them before I glue them in.
After gluing them in, I can only shape using the violin thumb plane.
The shape formed by the LTB & and center back brace and the UTB and 1st back brace, reminds me of the 2 temple gates or some sort. :)
I managed to glue the lining to the sides and profile the lining after the glue dried.
Since the side struts broke it into section so I do the lining in sections too.
So it was very easy.
After the glued dried the next day I profile the lining with my block plane using the aluminium bar.
Now all set to close the back.
Meanwhile I also too pics of the interior before I close the box.
I patch a piece of rosewood to the heel as the heel is too low to match the overall curvature of the back doming.
Well I could have lower the heel abit more but since the rest is already shaped nicely to the doming, I just simply patch a rosewood instead.
It doesn't affect the structure integritty.
After the glue dried, I shape it to conform to the curvature.
Before I closed the box I remembered I have yet to cut the sound port.
And so I bend a piece of spruce for the inner backing and glue it to the right upper bout (bass side).
Then I found my template and trace the pattern to the sides.
Finally I drill 2 holes using the forstner bit and several saw holes and saw thru' them using the coping saw.
Final shaping is by file and sandpaper.
Unfortunately I drill the lower part too close to the edge of the reinforcement spruce backing. Well it cant be helped now.
Not much things done since I am back from reservist training.
I thickness the back a bit still quite a fair bit to go.
However I am still thinking of what backstrip inlay to do, in the end I think I just use no backstrip at all since the theme is simplicity for this build.
Before I close, I began to thickness the back.
Once the back got thin enough, it became alive.
So I thin it to about 2.2 - 2.5mm, the rest I'll leave it until I got the brace up.
The weight of the back is about 290g.
Well this is the first time I weight my back so I don't have previous data reference.