I began the build by shooting the various boards: tops and backs.
After making sure that no light passed thru' the joint seam, I proceed to joint the 2 halves of the boards.
I have only 2 sets of jig to clamp the 2 halves so I joint the tops first.
The top is removed from the jointing jig.
Next the back is glued with the same method as the top.
The glue remnants is also removed by scraping from the jointed area on the top.
After the glued dried and more than 48 hours, the 2 backs are released from their jointing jigs.
I will be beginning a few new builds: 2 new 6-string guitar and 1 new 7-string guitar
The guitars will all be using RW back and sides with Lutz spruce top.
The RW back taps very high pitch with lots of sustain.
Think these will be interesting build, be sure to stay tuned.
A ukulele came in for repair as the bridge came off (another case of bridge repair).
The owner has used a shoe glue to glue it back but it was not a suitable glue.
So I had remove the glue remnants.
Upon removing it I noticed the top was scribed with a lot of XXXXX and this is the cause of failure...
Normally top should not be scribed with xxxx.
Glue work best with fitting surfaces and if the top is damaged with xxxx scribes, the surface will not be fitting and the chances of bridge coming off is bigger.
After cleaning the surfaces and sanding both side to have better fit, I applied the glue and glued back the bridge to the top.
I have a guitar coming in for a bridge repair.
Nothing too out of the ordinary.
But I did noticed that the top has some wavy curve across, but I did not see any damages to the butt area.
So I think the cause of the bridge coming loose is probably due to changes in RH.
Anyway for this bridge repair I use a caul underneath the top and clamp with 3 bridge clamps.
Before applying the glue, I clean the surface with sandpaper.
After that I applied the glue and clamp.
The guitar has been strung up for about a week and the bridge still stays strong.
I prepare a new nut for the guitar with a closer string spacing.
The maker has put a pin in the middle of the nut slot which makes the making of the nut a bit more challenging.
So I just make the nut to fit the slot and file the string spacing accordingly.