The 10-string will be continued sometime next year
For this project the specifications are:
Top: Carpathian Spruce AAA grade
Back & Sides: CSA Rosewood
Neck: Spanish Cedar
Bridge: CSA Rosewood
Bracing: Francisco Simplicio 1924 - 8 asymmetric fan brace a
Since I am reusing the top from the 10-string build, I won't be covering that here.
For the past session, I manage to draw out the bracing for the top and cut the braces to size.
I decided on the Simplicio / Garcia bracing because I like the sound of a Garcia recording which I heard.
Also since this build features carving on the headstock and bridge, (not done by me), it's appropriate to use a Simplicio bracing.
Francisco Simplicio is famous for intricate carving on the headstock.
In his famous 8 fan asymmetric brace layout, each of the fan brace has a different focal point.
Torres typically focus his fan to about the 14th fret
The bass side has 3 fan brace (excluding the center brace) and treble side has 4 fan brace.
The outer fan brace will have a lower focal point than the inner one.
However, I will be doing some modification on the traverse harmonic brace.
Instead of a closed one I will open the aperture.
I just feel that open harmonic brace will open up the sound.
Finally a hot day, so the time for the real action has arrived.
I set up for the gluing and proceed as planned.
The gluing was quite fast since all the things has been previously prepared.
Luckily my go-bar are just nice some of the inner struts I use 4 go-bars instead of 3.
This is because it domes more in the center.
The actual run. I start from the center brace work on the right side then the left side. The ruler is to prevent the brace from slipping.
I carved the brace, one the brace chip off at the ends.
It's due to the brace having some wavy grain line.
I am thinking of redo-ing just this brace only.
I remove the 1st brace on the left of the center brace.
The ends chipped off due to the wavy grain in the struts.
I know if I leave it there I would come back and think what if I change the struts back then the sound would be better.
So instead of leaving it to chance, I just change it.
Removing it was quite easy, chisel off the main bulk and plane it when it's near the top and finally sand smooth.
I can see that the brace was firmly glued which is a good thing.
After that I split a new brace and plane to size.
Then I glue in the side braces too and this brace.
The closing brace at the ends are glued when the fan has been carved.
I also cut the window in the traverse brace.
I shape the new treble brace and the 2 side brace.
Just nice I had freshly sharpen my tools and they work GREAT!
Nothing feels as good as using a newly sharpened tools.
The final weight is 179g with the traverse brace and closing brace still raw.
After shaping I suspect it will go down further.
This top is by far my lightest top to date.
My previous 2 was in the 190s (I think) and 180s
Next I glued in the 2 traverse brace and the closing brace, shaped them and measured the weight.
The entire top is only 166.8g, that's my lightest top so far.
I think this top/build has great potential.
Bracing all done. This is 8 asymmetric fan brace by Francisco Simplicio / Enrique Garcia. But include my signature open aperture for the 2 traverse braces.