A vihuela came into my shop for repair, as it's bridge had flew off the top.
Should be quite an easy job the only thing is that the bridge took out some of the top.
Also upon inspection the luthier did a terrible thing, that is to scribe several cross marks onto the bridge and top!!!
Those who use hide glue will know this is a not a recommended action.
Hide glue needs maximum surface fit to have a great adhesion and the vihuela (like any other early instruments) has a small gluing surface.
So the fit becomes even more important.
Finally I decide to sand the top flat taking out those deep scribe marks.
Also when I sand the bridge's bottom surface then I realise the fit was really terrible.
There was deep hollow in the center of the bridge's bottom.
No wonder the bridge will fly out...
So I sand all surface flat and put the sandpaper on the top to fit the bridge bottom to the top.
Finally it was ready for gluing.
I use hide glue for the gluing and apply clamps after the hide started to grab the 2 pieces together.
Some pics of the instrument
I glued the reinforce veneer to the sound port side.
I haven't decided whether to include a sound port for this build or not.
But I can glue-in the backing first.
Next I also glued in the middle back brace.
I just need to glue in the tornavoz and I am all set to close the box.
I also make the tornavoz for the top.
Previously I have already thin the tornavoz wood, so for this session I just heat and bend it.
After that I just use the clamp to hold it in shape.
I have not decide the exact radius yet.
I drilled the sound port and glue on the tornavoz to the top.
The tornavoz was previously bent, I just glue up the tornavoz and glue the tornavoz to the top.
I decided to fit the tornavoz to the size of the soundhole instead of bigger and glued behind the sound hole.
So I trim off the excess tornavoz and glue the tornavoz ends together using the soundhole as clamp.
Next I glue the tornavoz to the top.
Surprisingly the tornavoz fitted the sound hole very well with no gaps.
After that I glued some peones lining block to support the tornavoz.
Next I also drilled the sound port on the sides.
I did not follow my usual design as I wanted a smaller sound port so as not to affect the air mode too much.
I glue the first part of back seam support.
After that I paste my label on the back and signed the label.
To protect it I also coat the reinforcement and label with a thin coat of shellac.