Custom Search

2012-03-23

Making the Heel Cap

I also began to do the heel cap after all the binding are flushed with the sides and top / back.
The binding wasn't done very well but well that's a lesson learnt for next time.
For the heel cap, I also put 2 layers of white and red fiber underneath the ebony heel cap to match the side purfling.
The heel cap is made from the fingerboard cut-off.

Before tracing the shape, I had to trim the binding at the heel cap which I do so using the rebate plane and chisel.
After that I trace the heel shape onto the heel cap.
Next will be to saw off the excess.

Level the binding at the heel cap area

Done

Cut the red and white fiber to match the side purfling

Trace the shape to the heel cap blank. (from fingerboard cut-off)

I decided not to put in the purfling as the based of the heel is not flat.
When I plane it flat it will not be align with the binding and purfling anyway.
I decided on a full thickness (as per fretboard) ebony cap instead.
Thereafter I leveled the heel flat and marked the outline on the cap.
After sawing the excess, I shape it using my rebate plane.
And finally it leave some excess to be leveled using chisel and glued on the cap using PVA glue. (I have kept the hide in the fridge and lazy to take it out; this isn't structural so it perfectly OK)

Shaping the heel using my rebate plane

Check the fit

From the side

Apply the glue

Clamp

No comments: