Custom Search

2011-12-09

Inlay the back strip

Well I posted on the OLF and had different opinion on whether to inlay the back strip or not.
For a thing, I like both looks.
The back without the back strip looks nice and the look with the back strip fits the big rosette.
So I go ahead and do the back strip

The back strip consist of 3 alternating tiles same as the rosette: IRW, Bloodwood and Basswood.
I was choosing the router bit for the routing.
And decide on the widest one which is about 12.5mm
Minus the 2.x mm for the thickness of the purfling red / white, it's about 10mm wide tiles.
I use my purfling cutter to cut the correct width saw to size using my miter box.
I cut the red and white fiber using the purfling cutter too with a 1m rule as a guide.
To assemble I use my 2 Aluminium bar to glue the purlfing 1st.
Then I glue the tiles to the 1st purfling and sandwich the other side with the purfling.
I use white PVA as it dries clear and has longer open time.
Anyway I was lazy to heat up the hide glue.

After it dried, I check the looks with the back, with or without.

Checking the looks of the back strip

Assemble the tiles check for the correct width on all tiles and adjust with a plane

Cutting the fiber purfling

Glue the white fiber to the red.

Glued

Clamped.

With back strip

Without back strip which looks better?

When I decide to go ahead, I began the routing setup.
I supported the center back joint part and the sides of back.
They are of different height due to the curavture of the back struts.
But with different scrap they are well supported.
I clamp 2 Aluminium bar to the back to act as a guide.
After adjusting the guide until the router base is at the center of the back along the entire length, I clamp the guide tight and check the alignment again.
Previously I had routed a channel to test fit the router bit and tiles
Then I set the depth using that previously routed channel it's about 1.5mm deep.
The back is about 2.5 so I got some meat left in the back.

After all is set I route it and all goes well.
I glue in the back strip and left it to set.

The 2 Al bar router guide.
Well you guess it correctly it's the same bar I use for clamping the back strip.

Adjusting the bar to make sure it's correctly align using eyeball only :)

Set the depth using the previously routed test channel.

Close up of the depth setting; its about 1.5mm deep channel.

Ready to route

Channels routed; everything went well.

Apply glue in the channel

Glue the back strip into the channel

Clamp tight

After removing the clamp, well... the inlay wasn't perfect.
There are some gaps but I think I can fill it up with IRW dust.
After that I simple plane down the back strip to level but in the process I cause some tearout in the back
Hopefully I can sand it level.

After removing the clamp.

Planing it flush with the back surface

The shavings

Side view can see that it's pretty leveled

Tearout

Gaps...

No comments: