Custom Search

2011-12-15

Glue the back reinforcement

After the inlay what comes next is the gluing the back reinforcement strip.
This cross-grain patch of Spanish Cedar (stable wood) will help to reinforce the back seam
which after the inlay is only at 1mm thick.

No much tricks here just cut to size and glue.
I know some do profile the back strip but I don't as I think the taper at the edge is already very nice.

The only problem is how to clamp the strip
Well I use HHG so it grabs pretty quickly, I just hold until it grabs.
I weight it down with my planes.

The last part I use some clamp to clamp it.
Underneath the seam I support it with my radius stick
Though the back is not exactly fits the stick radius but it's better than having none at all.

Reinforcement strips cut to size.

Measure the thickness of the tail block

Transfer to the strip. But I did leave a bit of allowance for final fitting.

Glue and hold down the strip until it grabs

Final clamping setup.
Not the best but it will do just OK.

The gluing came out fine
I scrape the back and all the tear-out were removed except one which was abit too deep
But more scraping will level it.
Before I close the back I will record the tap tone once more

After gluing. All is well.

Scraping the back

Tear-out almost gone.

Remove part of the reinforcement for fitting the end block.

I saw 4 braces for the back, profile them, and glue them to the black
After tap tuning the back, and shaving down the braces a bit I clamp the lower bout rim to the body and tap the tone.
It sounded quite nice with a nice deep bass.

After sawing the braces, lay them out to see the correct length.
The ends are scalloped.

Profile the braces.

Start to clamp

Clamping done.

Back done with my label pasted.

The back ready to be closed

Tap tune the back. Only the lower bout is active so I clamp it up and tap to hear the tone.

No comments: