Custom Search

2011-11-02

Preparing for assembly

Before assembly I need to cut the top to shape especially at the 12th fret part where it is attached to the neck.
I simply saw at the line.
After that I trim the top to conform to the side profile.

Also I cut the side to fit in the heel block.
At first I nearly mark the wrong direction.
But when I put into the solera, I discover the triangular shape orientation is wrong.
It really pays to be careful.

Normally the angle is measure from the bottom of the heel block
But in this case the heel block is blocked by the elevated neck extension.
So I had to measure from the top and hence the orientation error.
The right way up is the wider at nearer to the top and narrowed into the heel / back region.

Align the block to aid the sawing.

Ready to be sawn

Done. You can see 2 marking; outer one is where the sides' boundary.


This is where I marked wrongly. I only realised it when I put the side back into the solera
and notice the shape orientation of the triangle is wrong.

Using the marking gauge to get the angle. The additional block is to make sure the reference edge is constant.

Mark on the sides.
The distance reference from edge by measuring the center width of the heel block and divide by 2. The width is 28mm and 1/2 of it is 14mm measure from the center.
The angle will touch the marked point.

Ready to saw the sides

Sides sawn

Fitted into the solera
The triangle shape orientation is correct.

Assembly fitting

The sides orientation is correct

The wedge in action. Need to cut a more fitting wedge though.

Checking the fit of the wedge. The actual wedge will be at full width

Test fitting without the solera.

Following that, I begin to make the actual wedge for the side slots into the heel.
I cut 2 pieces and then plane to fit.
Also I began to plane the end block.
I saw the end block blank into 2 halves and plane the thinner one.
My end block ended up about 10mm thick.
I am thinking it might not be sturdy enough.
Again I was checking the curve with the mould when I plane.

Checking fit for the right wedge.

Planing the wedge.
The wood is just as scrap but it works well for a plane stopper like a bench dog

Planing the wedge.

Checking the fit on the left side

Check the fit of both sides.

Wedge for the top.

Dry assembly. Both wedges and the top wedge all working fine and well fitted.

Dry assembly to see how the elevated fretboard looks.

Dry assembly

From the side view.

In the mould with the neck and wedges in place.
Some asymmetry there.

Another view.

Well I must start to think of the sequence of assembly.
With the elevated neck in place the assembly is slight tricky.
I must also decide whether to glue in the wedges or not or simply wedge in will do.
From what I knew, Romanillos only glue the other side of the wedge and not the wedge face that is in contact with the movable piece.

No comments: