Custom Search

2011-11-25

Back struts

I saw started preparing the back struts.
Till now I am still thinking to make a live back or inactive back.
Check out Trevor Gore's book it says a lot about live back (active back).
It's said to give a better tone but at a certain expense of the volume.

Anyway I cut the brace blank from spruce and profile it accordingly
All 3 struts ready for shaping

Shooting the curve into the 1st brace.

The curve is nicely fitted with the foot.

Shooting the curve into the back struts (Lower Bout strut)

Same (Waist strut)

When I tried to shoot the struts I slipped and my thumb go crashing into the struts end...
Of course I bled but at least not on the struts....
Well that's the minor accident that always happened.
Anyway I finished shaping the curve of the back struts I tried fitting to the back and check all the fitting.
I think the foot area will need some adjustment
The rest of the struts and curvature are alright.

Some gaps in the foot region.

The curves looks OK now.

After fitting the curves, I began to work on the struts.
I saw them to size and chisel the ends to 5mm.
The ends will fit in the notches in the reverse kerfed lining.
The height of the lining is about 10mm so I chose 1/2 of it 5mm to be the final height of the brace ends.

Chiseling the curve at the ends.

Marking the position of the 1st struts

Sawing the notch pocket

Chisel away the waste

1st back brace fitted.

Then I worked on the other 2 back strut as per 1st one.
For the position of the 1st 2 back string (UB and W) I make them follow the position of the
UTB and LTB.
They are almost on top of them.
For the 3rd back strut, I just place in the center between the end block and the waist back strut.
This 3rd one is special as I will relief the center portion too.
This will make an active back which would give the guitar a bigger sound.
In addition some more struts will radiate from the center of the 3rd LB strut.

2nd back braces fitted.

I relieved the centre portion of the LB back strut for an active back.

3rd back brace fitted

Done.

Another view

No comments: