Custom Search

2015-05-01

Thicknessing the top


20150501
After the rosette is done, next will be thicknessing.
For this top I thickness the top accordingly to the normal thickness that I have.
After I cut the sound hole then I adjust the thickness again by tapping the sound board.
The tap tone before cutting the sound hole and after is quite different.
After cutting the sound hole, the main tap tone comes from the lower bout response.
It should sound a bit like cardboard after thicknessing. I also recorded the weight and tap tone of the top after thicknessing.
The top weight is about 146g which is near my #3 weight. I'll probably go a lighter a bit for this top.



Thickness the top with plane.


See the amount of waste shaving


Cutting the sound hole using my purfling cutter


The top after cutting the sound hole


Weight of unbraced top 146g


After final thicknessing the weight reduce to 133.6g. (I made a mistake in the weighing previously)
It also feels stiffer than the Englemann spruce used in #8.
In general, I think Lutz spruce is much better than Englemann spruce.


No comments: