Custom Search

2015-05-18

Preparing for bracing


20150313
Normally this section will come under bracing
Since I am doing 3 guitars at one go I thought I just lump them all under this post.
I joint up the donut sound hole reinforcement using the spruce cut-off from the top.
I have enougth to make 4 actually.
I find the cam-clamp very useful in doing this type of ad-hoc non-critical joints
After this I would need to split some braces.



Shotting the edges of the donut


Finished jointing one pair.


3 more pair to go!


20150320
After all the blanks are jointed, I began to cut out the disc.
But before that I had to drill the center hole.
I am using my favourite self-made scribe.



Drill the center hole.


Scribe and cut out the disc donut.


Trying to split some bracing. I should get an axe (a proper wedge)


20150516
I split somemore brace and plane them down to shape.
I had to go to the staircase to split and eventually ground floor as it's night time and the hammering noise will be a disturbance to the lower floors...
I split 2 spruce one is Lutz and one is Englemann; the Lutz spruce definitely feels stiffer than the Englemann.
So I will be using the Lutz for the fan bracing and Englemann for the UTB and LTB.



Splitting the bracing blank.


After splitting the brace blank.


Sizing up the braces


All done up to the right width.


20150518
After cutting out the brace blank, I lay them out on a board.
It was raining these few days so I delayed the bracing gluing due to the rise in RH.



#9 bracing pattern


Torres bracing pattern, I might change to Simplicio again though.


One possible design I had in mind, a fan lattice. Traditional and yet modern haha.

No comments: