Custom Search

2015-01-24

Making the rosette


20141127
I decided to make the rosette simple so I cut a head plate into 2 and jointed them to make a rosette blank.
Since this guitar's rosette is going to be simple so I figure this will save me quite a bit of time while looking good with a single piece of IRW.
Next will be to route the concentric circles to form the rosette main ring.
The problem will be to find a suitable purfling.



Cut the long head plate into 2.


Shoot the joint edge


Apply glue


Clamped and jointed.


20141212
I continue on the rosette.
First I drill the centre hole.
After that I brought out my previous jig.
The jig is enable to clamp the rosette ring to allow a scribing / routing of inner or out circle.
I made that while I was doing guitar #2.
This time round I am using a solid piece of IRW for the rosette.
So I can make this jig.
After routing the outer circle I route the inner circle with a few pass.
The line weren't quite clean as I wished so I re-routed them making full use of the jig to hold down the ring of rosette.
Now it's ready to be inlayed.
Anyway I plan to inlay a purfling within the rosette, the border will be IRW forming the surrounding border I think...



Drill the center hole


Routing the rosette


Outer circle routed.


Inner circle routed The rosette is held in place by the outer rim or plywood.


Re-route outer circle to correct the skew. The rosette is now held in place with the inner plywood.


Rosette ready to be inlayed onto the top.


Rough smooth the top


20150124
The initial ring was kind of big so I reduce the size of the ring.
I use my rosette jig which work very well :)



Routing the rosette ring


Done


Better looking ring


Testing the look on the top.

No comments: