Custom Search

2013-06-06

Binding and Purfling


20130523
I also started to do the binding on the main body.
I check the curvature it seemed that it's not really off center too much.
So I forgo making the binding jig for the router and use the normal base which reference the top instead of the sides
I can correct the skew with my chisel later.
Anyway for this guitar the binding scheme is just binding w/o the side purfling so it will be easy.

I setup the router and test cutting until it fits the binding.
Then I proceed to cut the channel.
Always start from the widest portion in the upper bout and go to the narrow area and repeat for the lower bout too.
This will ensure minimal chip-out.

Next will be to bend the bindings and glue them.
Without side purfling this will be much easier to get a clean binding.



Checking the router setting and adjust accordingly


Preparation for the routing


Routing done. Always go from widest portion to the narrowest.


20120529
I cut the purfling rebate by hand and also those part which is not reached by the router.
It's not that difficult.
Also for the purfling rebate, I use my LN router plane and this makes the depth more consistent.
After that I glued in the purfling and all seemed well.
Next I need to cut the end graft before doing the binding.



Purfling ledge cut.


Cut using the LN router plane. This ensures the constant depth for the purfling which is set according to the purfling used.


Scoring the purfling edge before cutting


Gluing the purfling


All done gluing


20130530
The purfling came out quite nice.
Next I worked on the bindings; bend and trimmed the bindings.
I also route the end graft channel.



The purfling done nicely.


Set up for routing the end graft


End graft channel routed.


Prepare to bend the bindings


Bindings bend. Some springback is good to ensure a better fit.


Sneak preview of the front


Fitting the back bindings.


Both sides fitted. Have to trim the ends to ensure better fit.


Trimming the ends with a chisel


20130604
I enlarged the end graft and inlay a strip from my #4 Maple back cut-off.
This time round I use hand saw chisel and router plane to do the job instead.



Saw the 2 kerfs


Use chisel to remove the bulk of the waste and clean with the router plane.


Saw the Maple cutoff (from #4 back) and shoot with my LA block plane to the correct width


Glue and clamp


20130606
I use a block plane and level the end graft.
The end graft job wasn't perfect but good enough for now.
Then I start doing the front binding.
First I use tape and then finally tighten using rope and inserted the wedge to increase the tension.



The end graft after gluing.


Level down using block plane.


Leveled looks good enough for me.


Start to glue the front binding.


Using tape 1st then use rope.


Tighten the rope using wood wedges.


20130611
The front binding is done but with some gaps.
Now how to fill up the gaps???
Might have to redo the binding...

Then I proceed to do back binding.
Hopefully will be good.



Front binding done.


Gaps!!!


Gluing the back binding


After taping


Tightening using rope


20130613
The back binding was quite well done :)
Now to solve the front binding gap problem.
I have a few options:
1) Redo the entire binding
2) Redo the gap sections using scarf joints in the binding
3) Fill the gap with white maple veneer
4) Fill the gap with ebony dust
Now to ponder over a few days...

Back binding

The butt joints

The butt joints

Front binding gaps

Front binding gaps

Front binding gaps

20130618
Well in the end I decided not to do anything about the bindings
I probably fill it up with maple dust.
After scraping and sanding the gap become less visible

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wanted to ask you about your experience using the router plane to smooth the binding channel. I've been thinking whether this was possible with either an old #71 or a modern Veritas to LN or to use a small router like the Veritas medium router plane. In addition to flattops I make archtops and the larger router would not work on an arched top as reference. Opinions?

Also since I'm asking, what did you decide to do to fill the top. I also use CA on back and sides gaps but understand that you will never get it to match on a spruce top. So if you don't mind my asking, what did you end up using?

Thanks,

Dave

Sen Goh said...

Sorry missed this comment.

Any router plane would work fine.
With arch top you probably have to add a piece below the router plane to match the curvature of the arch top.
Technically speaking the reference should be respective to the sides actually.
For classical the difference is small so referencing the top or sides doesn't make too much difference.

For the top filling you can use egg white.
Actually top doesn't really need filling as there are no pores.
You just need to size it using egg white.