Custom Search

2012-04-27

Starting on Guitar #3 and Guitar #4

While #2 is not quite done yet, I have started on my guitar #3 and #4 sometime ago.
It was in between the process where I shoot-ed and jointed the top and backs of these next guitars
Here are some description of the next 2 guitar


Guitar #3
Top: Lutz Spruce (from Shane of High Mountain Tonewood)
Back: Indian Rosewood
Neck: Sapele
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood? or Ebony (depending on the weight of the neck - Sapele is very heavy)
Plantilla: FE19 Same as #2 (perhaps add 5mm all around)
Features: Elevated neck with sound port, Active back
Bracing: Torres 7 fan with open harmonic brace


Guitar #4
Top: Lutz Spruce (from Shane of High Mountain Tonewood)
Back: Big Leaf Maple (Flamed)
Neck: Cedro
Bridge: Indian Rosewood or Madagascar Rosewood?
Fingerboard: Ebony
Plantilla: FE17
Features: Brass Tornavoz; Sound port(?)
Bracing: Torres 7 fan with open harmonic brace (maybe skip the LTB as per FE17)

Lutz Spruce is a hybrid spruce from the Rocky Mountains of North America - cross between Sitka and Englemann or Sitka and White spruce depending on the altitude of the tree.
Shane is very knowledgeable tonewood supplier and his Spruce is very well processed: quartered sawn with lots of silking.
When I tap on these 2 Lutz, they ring like forever very near that of WRC.

Shooting the jointing edge
Apply HHG to the glue edge
Jointing jig
Jointed
#3 and #4
#3 IRW with Lutz spruce
#4 Big leaf Maple (flamed) with Lutz spruce
The back inlay for both (the meander pattern tiles which I did last time)
On the maple (it looked better with a white background)
Difference in size of the plantilla
Squaring the neck blank for #4's neck (cedro)
Preparing to glue the maple back
Jointing in progress
Gluing done
Sawing the outline
Divide into sections. Straight section sawn by ryouba, curve section by fret saw with a twisted coping saw blade
Another curve section
Done!
What's next?
Well I can't really thought of anything so I just saw the outline of the 2 tops with my fret saw.
Similar method used as I saw the Maple back.
I clamp the wood and rotate the top as I saw.
Finally I managed to saw two of them.

Sawing the outline
1st top done.
Drill the center hole for the sound hole
Sawing the 2nd top
Both top done. You can compare the size of the top
FE17 top and back
Next I cut out the IRW back.
As the plantilla was slightly big, the border wasn't too much a regular coping saw would suffice.
And so I saw the outline quite easily.

Sawing the outline
Sawing done.
The #3 top and back

No comments: