Custom Search

2012-04-23

Setup the guitar (Nut and saddle)

Next to do is actually fretting and setting up the guitar.
But I wanted to string it up before deciding what to do with the relief.
So I sand the bridge and saddle to fit the slot 1st.
Sanding is a hard job...

Then I hammer in 2 frets at 1st fret and 12th fret and mark the position of the saddle with the appropriate action at 12th fret; bass side and treble side.
Anyway this is rough set up.
I saw the saddle near to the line.

I also marked the string spacing at nut; 5mm from the edge at both sides and 8.5mm between the strings.
I file the slots and now all I need to do is to wait for putting on the string.

The setup to measure the saddle height.

Mark using a 1/2 pencil. I plane the carpenter pencil down to the lead core.

Draw the line joining the bass side and treble side

Saw near the line.

Nut end, positions marked

After all the frets are done, I go on to lower down the saddle.
If the string is not seated properly in the nut end, there will be a distinct and annoying buzz.
Once the nut slot is filed and the string seated into the slot, the buzz will disappear.

Previously I had already marked the saddle.
So I just go on and lower it.
Then I measure the action at 12th fret. THe treble is 3.5mm and bass about 4.5mm
I played it sounded quite nice.
I suppose I could lower the treble a bit more but I will leave at for the moment.

After I move back saddle front edge for the 2nd and 3rd string and 5th and 6th to compensate for the intonation.
This is done by making sure the 12th fret harmonics sounds the same as the 12th fret note.

Filing of the slant in the saddle.
Close up. It's abit hard to see the slanted that was filed into the saddle.

No comments: