Custom Search

2011-09-08

Sawing the braces

Well I am not exactly done on the neck but for now that will suffice.
I proceed on to making the braces from the blank.

A good question now arises: saw or split?
Splitting brace from the blank isn't exactly easy.
I try to split one from an Englemann spruce blank but Englemann spruce are very prone to twisting (run out) so I didn't get anything usable from the splitting.
So instead I saw the braces from the blank and let the saw follow the natural saw line.
So I did get bigger on one end and smaller on the other but that's alright I can plane them flat.
I colored the ends to see the grains better.
After planing I got all my braces
Following that I began to size them accordingly for the 7 fan braces, 2 traverse brace and 2 closing brace and the side braces beside the sound hole.
I had to square the end and use the shooting board method to square them.
I use the aluminium bar as a stopper.
Quite accidently I actually plane the aluminium bar.
The A2 plane iron is definitely harder than the Al bar.

Here are the pictures.
Sawing the brace from blank

Planing them accordingly to the grain line

I colored the ends to see the grain orientation more clearly.

Here's one that need lots of squaring to the grain orientation.

The planing setup. Al bars as stoppers

Width of 7mm

The bracing layout

The bracing layout after I marked the layout on the template and transfer to the top.

I need to trim the braces.
I weigh the top and all the braces it's a hefty 300+ g...
Typical traditional fan bracing top should be under 200g probably close to 185g to 190g.
A classical double (composite nomex) top weighs about 120 or so.

Next to come will be the gluing of the braces watch out for it.
But before that I need to build my go-bar deck.

I cut the braces to size and lay them out on the top.
Also I trim down the height to about 5 to 6 mm 1st.
More will be trim to the final height of 3 mm
Also I cut the donut soundhole reinforcement to size.
I was deciding on along grain or across grain orientation but decide to follow my previous across grain.
I weigh them the whole top is about in the 220 region.
More weight to removed considering I have not cut the harmonic bar to size and trim down the braces.
But I have not add the 2 support braces beside the soundhole yet.

Cutting the donut soundhole reinforcement

Sawing the braces to length

Layout on the top.

Trim braces to height

Trimming the donut

Weighing the top 228g more shaving to be done

The layout ready to be glued

No comments: