Custom Search

2011-09-23

Next commision

Well my next commission is a Pink Ivory B/S Lutz Spruce top.
I made some measurement of the density of this Lutz top and it's about 370 kg/m3.
This is light and good stuff.
According to my luthier friend Alexandru Marian, the spruce is the same log as the master grade Lutz that he have.
The only reason why it was downgrade was the presence of knots but for the FE 17 build, the knots are out of the plantilla :)
I love stuffs that are good quality but at a bargained price.

I learned more about the back and side wood: Pink Ivory from an experienced steel string guitar luthier at the OLF
John Mayes.
He is very kind to share with me the critical points of dealing with the Pink Ivory.
According to him, Pink Ivory bends like Maple (very easily), just need to spritz it and bend it.
Looks like I am in luck that Pink Ivory is not a hard wood to bend!

The plantilla is a FE17 the Torres guitar, which was used by the famous guitarist Francisco Tárrega.
The original FE17 is using a flamed maple as the B/S but this time round I will be using a beautiful set of Pink Ivory.
Scale length is 640mm.
I haven't decided if I want to include the tornavoz inside.
Maybe as a parallel build, I will make the original maple B/S FE17.
One thing though, I won't be making the elevated fingerboard in this build as the body size of the guitar is very small if the elevated fingerboard is included the internal volume will be affected.
As it is the geometry of the elevated fingerboard is very complicated, if I want to include the tornavoz... it will be too complicated.
Anyway that's for further review when I build the solera for the FE17.

Here is some teaser pics:
Pink Ivory B/S

Lutz Spruce top

No comments: