Custom Search

2011-09-28

Gluing the fan struts

After preparing for so long, I finally glued on the fan struts and the soundhole reinforcement donut.
I heat up the HHG and on the dehumidifier and prepare to glue.
Before gluing I had a final check on the struts length and trim accordingly with a chisel.

Once ready I position the top and hold it down with 2 go-bar one at the waist and the other at the bridge region.
I apply the glue to the donut and glue on the top.
First I use 4 go-bar to glue the donut; this so that I can see the alignment of the donut.
If I use the wood straight away I can't see if it's aligned properly or not.
After it stablised, I switch to using the center screw and a wood to screw it down.
But after gluing the outer most fan brace, the block of wood was blocking it so I switch to a smaller piece of wood from my previous solera.

To glue on the fan struts, I first clamp in place a steel rule to guide fan strut to prevent it from skidding around.
I started with the center struts and work outwards. 1 2L 2R 3L 4L 3R 4R
Actually using go-bar isn't as easy as I thought it would be.
The go-bar has to slide from the same plane as the fan strut direction so prevent the strut from skidding around.

Here are the pics:
Final check of the struts length.

Securing the top in place

Applying HHG to the donut

Gluing on the donut.

Securing the steel rule

Gluing the center strut

2nd strut

The wood blocking the 4th strut outermost fan strut

Change to a smaller wood strip to secure the donut

All done

Side view

Close up view can see the doming quite clearly.

Zoom in the donut region

Can see my HHG by the side :)

Next to come carving of the struts...

No comments: