Custom Search

2021-10-03

Making the inlay


20210821
One of the new things that I tried, is making a epoxy filled inlay.
The procedure is actually quite easy, just route the cavity and fill the cavity with epoxy resin.
I use lampblack to dye the epoxy black.
The only problem is getting the cavity look right.
So I tried on a test piece on the technique.
It came out pretty decent.



Template for routing


After routing the cavity


Filled with epoxy


After sanding looks ok.


20210918
Once the test piece is ok, I began to work on the actual inlay piece.
This inlay will be glued to the headstock part, customised for the owner of the guitar.
The template is similar to the test piece but slightly more complicated.
To route the cavity I use my B&D RTX to route.
After that I followed with chisel and marking knife to make the edges more distinct.
Then the rest of the procedure is the same.



After routing the cavity


Mixed the resin with lampblack


Filled the cavity


Sanding flat


Final cut out.


20210925-20211003
Following that I surround the borders with purfling and binding similar to the rosette theme.
Red purfling with black binding.
After glue dried, I trim the ends to size.



Gluing the red purfling


Surrounding the red purfling with black binding


Using vice to clamp


Final shape but havent trim the ends yet.


All trimmed to size, checking the layout on the headstock

No comments: