Custom Search

2020-09-20

Close the box!


20200919
Finally the day of the box being closed.
First before starting I will do a dry run of the process.
This helps to familiarise with teh actual process as well as keeps all the need tools and materials within the reach.
This is especially so if you are working with hide glue.
Clamps, wood blocks, hair dryer, hide glue, etc..
Just closing the box, I did a last check on the fit and plane fresh surface on the lining.
Then I began the process.

First I heat the rims with the hair dryer.
Then I proceed with applying the hide glue.
As the hide is already heated I can carry the bottle and apply it rim the rim in quick fashion.
Before gluing the back, I heated once again with hair dryer
Then I proceed with gluing in the back.
The clamp and blocks were applyed in place.
First the heel and end block.
Followed by blocks at the upper and lower bout.
Then the waist.
For the waist part, I apply an addition flexible wood strip to spread the force over the entire brace.
This is because the brace is glued to the rim not the back.
Similar for upperbout brace, I use blocks to spread the force across the brace area too.
Finally all blocks done.
Also for aligning the back, I use pins in the heel to ensure the alignment is centred.



Dry run


Glue the label


One final look before closing the box


Heating up the rim.


Box is closed


Another view


Another view


20200920
Next day I release all the cramps and started to trim the overhang...
Damn I slipped and cut my middle finger on the wood...
Anyway I use planes and chisel to trim the wood is sure hard to plane.



Clamp released


Closed box


Trimming the back overhang

No comments: