Custom Search

2011-08-26

Thicknessing the top

I began to thickness the top.
The bridge area was about 2.5 mm the perimeter was about 2.2 to 2.3 mm.
For the upper bout I leave it thick at close to 3 mm.
I need to leave some thickness for final sanding.
Hmm maybe I should do a thickness mapping for reference.

Thicknessing using block plane.

Bridge area thickness about 2.5 mm

Outer perimeter about 2.2 mm

Sanding away the plane marks.

I also weigh the current weight of the top; it's about 141.3g a bit on the heavy side I think.

Weight 141.3g

I layed the top on the solera to check out the dimension and doming.
Seems ok.
Top on my new solera

The elevated neck portion

The doming part

I thin the upper bout to a max thickness of 2.5 mm and re-weigh the top it came about 133.3g.
Now with the bracing it should fall between 175 to 180g?
I better cut the bracing and weigh the total weight before gluing.

Top weight after thinning the upper bout to 2.5mm.

No comments: