Custom Search

2011-01-12

Thickness Measurement Tool

Thickness Measurement Tool
I started to make a frame for the electronic thickness dial gauge which I bought from Rockler.
At first I was thinking of sawing a U-frame out of a plywood but I noticed I had quite a lot of excess pine blank which I can use.
So I decide to make a frame out of the scrap pieces of pine that I had.
But after gluing up I noticed it wasn't as rigid as it should, so I added an aluminium piece to strengthen the structure.
Well the Al piece did work.
After adding the Al piece, the throat is about 30 cm.

Next I managed to scoop a depression to fit the dial gauge's fixture.
Finally I would need to glue a extension to touch the bottom of the dial gauge's needle.

The bottom nut is done.
I simply mark where the dial gauge needle would be and drill a 6mm hole.
Enlarge the bottom side to accommodate the T-nut.
But I didn't manage to knock the T-nut all the way in.
After screwing in the bolt, I also file the top of the bolt flat and rounded at the edges and smoothen with sandpaper.

Clamping the fixture

The dial gauge almost done.

Gluing the end piece for the extension to touch the needle

Aluminium piece to strengthen the rigidity of the frame.
The thickness measuring tool done.

Close up shot

Added the bottom adjustable screw.

Beneath is a T-nut. On top is a normal nut to lock the height.

The side view



Readjusting the neck angle and relief of Guitar #1
My guitar #1's geometry wasn't good at all.
Due to the too forward neck angle, the action at the treble side becomes too high.
Also the relief at the bass side is too straight for at the 2nd fret region.
So I decide to remove the frets and plane away some finger board at the head end to correct the angle.

At first removing the fret seems really daunting.
But I muster the courage and try on the 1st fret.
Surprisingly the fret comes off pretty easily.
Unfortunately it also chips at the tang area.
But luckily I am going to remove some fingerboard so the chip part will be removed.
After planing, scraping sanding, I visually check the curve and adjusting until I think it looks right.

Then I also plane more curvature at the 2nd fret region to correct the relief for the bass side.
After that I knock back the frets and try. Voila!
The bass finally doesn't buzz.
But I did create some buzz at the 5th string around the 4th fret region.
Then I think it due to the nut should be easily fixed.
Overall now I am more confident to doing a re-fret job.
Removing the frets

Scraping to smoothen the surface after planing

I also did something to the solera please read the solera post.

No comments: