Custom Search

2016-01-19

Repair on a Thames guitar - Excellent StewMac customer service!


20151112 - 20160119
I had a customer who brought his Thames #858 guitar for repair.
Actually there was nothing wrong with the guitar.
The only part that broke is the Sloane tuning machine.
One of the button was loose from the shaft.
Thus no tuning can be done on that string. (G - treble string).


So I contacted StewMac who was the retailer for the Sloane tuner (manufactured by Waverly)
I must commend StewMac for their excellent Customer Service; the service they rendered was really top class.
They agreed to send me the replace at no charges (not even the shipping!)
Here is one company who believe in providing excellent services.

So the replacement parts arrived fast after our correspondence
Unfortunately I was charged GST (VAT) for the replacement parts which aren't supposed to be charged.
After contacting the DHL (SG) customer service still I need to pay the GST in order to receive the goods.
Without a choice I had to pay up first in order to receive the goods.
But the DHL customer service meanwhile help me to inquire from SG Govt Customs regards GST refund for this good
However, SG Customs require me to write in personally and so I did.
After showing them various evidence, they still insist that this GST is chargeable although various parts of their website implied that parts imported for replacement / repair may be exempted from GST.
Though the GST tax-free application must be filed first.
What is bad is that the SG Customs customer officer didn't even know how to reply a proper email with the correct response as to why this is chargeable.
They simply want to close the case and write stand template replies.
So much for SG50 progress... their service really suxs
Their mentality is more like "Please don't create more trouble for me" and not truly understanding the case and helping the customers / people with their enquiries Anyway enough of ranting, so I gave trying to reason with the Customs customer service officer which weren't even apt in explaining the SG GST taxation law to anyone....

FYI, the spoilt tuner was shipped back to USA, so there was no nett increase of the physical item
Why should there be any GST charge???

So I removed the original tuner and installed the new one.
I check that the holes are perfectly drilled which they are.
Also the holes are deep enough.
I thought it's the root cause of the problem but all the guitar was build correctly in this aspect.
It's just a poorly made tuner for this case.
After that the owner wanted guide dots on the guitar so I drilled and glued 3 MOP dots on the side of the fingerboard.
As I have to file level the dots I had to refinish that part of the finish.
This is really quite a saga.
I will never talk to the SG Customs again if I can; their knowledge and service really sux....

This Thames #858 2013 was a Spruce Indian Rosewood guitar fitted with a full depth Tornavoz.
The bass is very sonorous, however IMO the mids are a little shy due to the resonances being placed too far apart.
The air resonance was F2 85Hz and main top resonance 196Hz G3.
In between there wasn't any peak at all to support the mid notes.
So this explains the shy part.
Anyway it was still quite a nice guitar for Tarrega pieces!



Broken tuner - loose button


Removing the existing tuner.


The spoilt tuner.


Both tuners removed.


Installing the replacement.


Can see the full depth tornavoz here.


Install the dots


All installed and polished.

No comments: