Custom Search

2014-01-08

Starting on Guitar #8


20130108
I will be starting another build #8 in conjunction with #7
The proposed specs are as follow:
Top: Lutz Spruce
Back / Sides: Maple (Big Leaf)
Neck: Spanish Cedar
Fingerboard: Ebony
Headplate: Maple (from back with black binding strip)
Tuners: Sloane (Waverly) with bearing and ebony button
Bridge: Madagascar Rosewood (12 Hole design)
Binding: Ebony
Nut / Saddle: Bone
Scale Length / Nut Width: 650mm / 52mm
Finish: Shellac FP top / Lacquer B&S
Bracing: Modified Bouchet bracing (same as my #3)
Other Features: - Active back
- Sound port
- Build in Arm rest
- 20th fret
- Marker on 7th fret

This guitar is for a talented guitarist who visited me a few weeks ago.
He plays currently a Apparico guitar.
After trying out my #3 and #1 he decided to commission me to make one for him.
He preferred the more even toned of #3 rather than the strong attack tone of #1.
#1 is very Spanish sounding as each string has a vastly different voice.
#3 is more even between the strings and the upper register is very even with harmonics.
I attribute this to the Bouchet bar underneath the bridge.

After rummaging through my collection of Lutz spruce, I selected two sets for the build.
One will be for #7 the other will be for #8
#7 will be a parallel build for this. (Will describe more in another post)
After selected I began to smooth the top to see how good it looks with my kanna.



Lutz Spruce for the top


20140122
Not much work done these few weeks as I was busy spring cleaning the house and my workshop.
I took the chance to re-org some of my woods and tools
Found to make sure that some of the tools which went missing (because I forgot where I put them).
I did shoot the 2 tops and backs which I am going to start for these 2 builds.
But I didn't took any pictures yet.
Will start to joint them once I am done with the cleaning.
Stay tuned
Oh yah, Happy and Propserous Chinese New Year to all.
Dai Kah Gong Hee Huat Chye, Sin Choon Roo Yee.
That was a Chinese Dialect wishing all a prosperous and wonderful spring festival (CNY).
Till' later.

No comments: