Custom Search

2013-10-18

Prepare for Assembly

20131105
Sorry for the delay in updates.
I was really busy for the past few weeks (work, family, other things), resulting in not much being done.
Being sick for the past week didn't help too.
Anyway I think I should be ready for assembly this week.
Once the weather becomes better I will start the assembly process.
This few days has been raining so the RH will be too high for gluing.
Gotta be a little patient :)
Anyway stay tuned...

20130920
I also began to prepared the end block for assembly.
The end block blank was quite thick and so I saw into 1/2 thickness (slightly more than 10mm thick).
Following that I shape it using block plane and sanding block.
The sanding block is actually the end fence of the solera where the 2 butts of the sides met.
Closer to assembly time :)



Sawing the end block into 1/2s. Each blank can yield 2 end blocks


After sawing.


Shaping using block plane


Fine shaping using sanding block (which is part of the solera)


Checking the fit


Sawing off the protruding ends of the traverse brace.


Clean up with chisel.


Almost ready for assembly!


Sides fitted to the mold / solera


20131007
I shape further the neck's heel block in preparation for assembly.
Check out the neck making post last part.

20131018
I first measure the top thickness and router planed the same thickness onto the neck's heel block area.
After that I smoothen with sandpaper and plane.
But upon checking on the solera seems like I have remove too much material on the neck.
It's ok I will be adding one more piece onto the top to thicken it and then shave down to fit the neck.

I saw the slant on the sides after measuring the slant angle on the neck side slots using a slide bevel.
I measure the distance from the center line and mark the base onto the sides. After that I transfer the angle form the sliding bevel to the sides.
It is very easy to get the slant orientation wrong so before you saw away do double check triple check to confirm.
Place is side by side on the neck and visually ensure the angle is correct.
Then I saw away the excess.

The sides were too thick so I use the right angle rule as a stopper and plane the side until it fits the slot.
After the sides can fit in it will be almost assembly time!



Transferring the slant angle to the sides


Double check the slant is correct orientation before sawing


Check the fit


Both sides done


Check the fit for both sides


Set the depth on the router plane from the top


Remove the material for the inner heel block


Smoothen with block plane


Done. Next almost ready for assembly! Yeah!

20131107
I glued in the patch for the neck.
Next will be gluing neck to top the start of assembly.



Apply the glue on the patch


Glue and clamp

No comments: