Custom Search

2013-07-22

Making the nut and saddle


20130722
I didn't actually took many pic for this process.
The steps are quite simple: select an blank which is oversize a little and sand to fit the slot.
Once it's fitted, then I file the nut slots.
I use an 1/2 pencil to mark the height of the frets projection on the nut.
This is the lowest point the nut can go.
Similarly I put a 3mm spacer on 12th fret (4mm on bass side) and mark the projection onto the saddle using a straight edge.
After lowering and checking the action, I smoothen the nut and saddle.
I didn't do much intonation adjust 1st because my strings has not arrived.
I threw away my pack of strings...

Saddle done


Nut done

When my strings arrived (ordered from stringsbymail.com), I began the process to adjust the intonation.
I use the method taught by my friend Alex.
I first tune the strings using the 2nd fret.
Then I check 14th fret's tuning and adjust the saddle to fit.
This ensures the 2nd to 14th fret are all in tune.
Then I adjust the but to make the open 12th fret harmonic to fit the 12th fretted note.
But I was surprise I didn't need much work on the saddle and nut.
My saddle was slanted at an angle and this compensates for most of the strings.
My nut was moved forward by nearly 1 mm

The strings I used are Aquila nylgut trebles and Hannabach 825 MT pure gold bass strings.
I love this combination: the treble sparkled but yet not too overly bright.
The bass is dark and powerful.


No comments: