Custom Search

2013-03-11

Bracing the top (Simplicio Inspired Guitar)

Well this is the continuation of the 10-string build which my friend has decided to convert it to 6-string.
The 10-string will be continued sometime next year

For this project the specifications are:
Top: Carpathian Spruce AAA grade
Back & Sides: CSA Rosewood
Neck: Spanish Cedar
Fingerboard: Ebony
Bridge: CSA Rosewood
Bracing: Francisco Simplicio 1924 - 8 asymmetric fan brace a

Since I am reusing the top from the 10-string build, I won't be covering that here.
For the past session, I manage to draw out the bracing for the top and cut the braces to size.
I decided on the Simplicio / Garcia bracing because I like the sound of a Garcia recording which I heard.
Also since this build features carving on the headstock and bridge, (not done by me), it's appropriate to use a Simplicio bracing.


Francisco Simplicio is famous for intricate carving on the headstock.
In his famous 8 fan asymmetric brace layout, each of the fan brace has a different focal point.
Torres typically focus his fan to about the 14th fret
The bass side has 3 fan brace (excluding the center brace) and treble side has 4 fan brace.
The outer fan brace will have a lower focal point than the inner one.
However, I will be doing some modification on the traverse harmonic brace.
Instead of a closed one I will open the aperture.
I just feel that open harmonic brace will open up the sound.



Drawing the layout on the top


Braces all cut to length and labelled


The bracing diagram which I based on.


Dry run for gluing


20130301
Finally a hot day, so the time for the real action has arrived.
I set up for the gluing and proceed as planned.
The gluing was quite fast since all the things has been previously prepared.
Luckily my go-bar are just nice some of the inner struts I use 4 go-bars instead of 3.
This is because it domes more in the center.



The actual run. I start from the center brace work on the right side then the left side. The ruler is to prevent the brace from slipping.


Center brace glued.


One side done.


Both side done.


Go-bars to the top of the deck.


Looking down from the top of the deck


20130304
I carved the brace, one the brace chip off at the ends.
It's due to the brace having some wavy grain line.
I am thinking of redo-ing just this brace only.

After removing the go-bars


Plane to height


Shaping the brace with my Japanese oire nomi


Weight of the top now is at 134g


After rough sanding


20130311
I remove the 1st brace on the left of the center brace.
The ends chipped off due to the wavy grain in the struts.
I know if I leave it there I would come back and think what if I change the struts back then the sound would be better.
So instead of leaving it to chance, I just change it.
Removing it was quite easy, chisel off the main bulk and plane it when it's near the top and finally sand smooth.
I can see that the brace was firmly glued which is a good thing.
After that I split a new brace and plane to size.
Then I glue in the side braces too and this brace.
The closing brace at the ends are glued when the fan has been carved.
I also cut the window in the traverse brace.



Chisel the main bulk


Plane it when it's near the top


After sanding it smooth


Cutting the slot in the traverse brace for open harmonic brace


Done sawing


Gluing the treble fan brace and the side brace


Close up shot


20130313
I shape the new treble brace and the 2 side brace.
Just nice I had freshly sharpen my tools and they work GREAT!
Nothing feels as good as using a newly sharpened tools.
The final weight is 179g with the traverse brace and closing brace still raw.
After shaping I suspect it will go down further.
This top is by far my lightest top to date.
My previous 2 was in the 190s (I think) and 180s



The braces carved


Front view


Weight is 179g


20130328
Next I glued in the 2 traverse brace and the closing brace, shaped them and measured the weight.
The entire top is only 166.8g, that's my lightest top so far.
I think this top/build has great potential.



Glue the 2 UTB LTB and closing brace


Glue done.


Shaping the closing brace.


Shaping the UTB LTB


Bracing all done. This is 8 asymmetric fan brace by Francisco Simplicio / Enrique Garcia. But include my signature open aperture for the 2 traverse braces.


Weight is 166.8g. My lightest top to date.

7 comments:

Gustavo Terra said...

Hi, great post and view of process.
How can I get this SimplĂ­cio's plan?
There is in this book a Garcia's plan too? I was looking for these plans for a long time! Help me, please!

Thanks!

Gustavo.

Sen Goh said...

Hi Gustavo,

I got the plan from this book.
La Chitarra di Liuteria - Masterpieces of Guitar Making by Stefano Grondona and Luca Waldner

http://www.lucawaldner.com/eng/books_eng.html

In the book you will only find 2 simplified plan one by Simplicio (which is the one I used) and the other a FE17 plan.

The thickness map is given but a lot of dimensions are missing. But if you know what to do it really doesn't matter much. You need to adapt it to your building experience and this is exactly what I am doing.

Gustavo Terra said...

Thank you very much Senunkan! I planed to buy this book yet. For the thicknesses I got my feeling. You are right about your considerations.
Congratulations for your work.

Cheers from Brazil!

Paul said...

Hi,
I'm very interested in your Simplicio replica since I'm starting one of my own. Is it possible to get bigger picture of the drawing (from the Simplicio book) since I cannot see any measurements, it's too small. I am particulary interested in dimensions of the fan braces (width and hight).
Thank you,
Cheers
Paul

Sen Goh said...

Hi Paul,

The plan isn't really a very detail one.
It only has dimensions for the thicknessing on the top which I didn't follow because thickness depends very much on the top used.
No dimension on the bracing size.
What I used is 7mm wide x 3mm-4mm high. (similar to what Torres used for his bracing)
But my luthier friend commented the actual one looks more like 5x5 instead which I tend to agree.
Simplicio's bracing doesn't seem to be too wide.

The important part of the bracing is the focal point actually.
The Torres fan bracing has a common focal point at 14th fret.
Most makers just use 12th fret focal point and call it Torres which is not accurate.
For Simplicio, there are one focal point for each of the bracing; each focal point differs to the other by 20mm.


Sen

Paul said...

Sen,
Thank you for the details! What are the thicknessing dimensions? Just to be on the right track. Seems that Simplicio usually used thin tops.
Paul

Sen Goh said...

Paul why not you drop me an email at senunkan@gmail.com