Custom Search

2012-11-28

Rework on the intonation on my #1

My #1's intonation is not good.
I always wanted to redo it but haven't found the time and effort to do it.
The main reason is because I place the bridge at exactly 650mm spot.
By right the slot need to be at 652mm to adjust for the intonation.
So the 12th frets were always too sharp and it's hard to get the open string in tune.
So I decide to do something about it.

One consideration was to take out the bridge and reposition the bridge.
That would be a major operation and 2nd is to redo the slot.
At that time my skill wasn't that precise and the slot wasn't entirely straight.
So I decide to redo the slot instead.

I refile the slot to make it more square.
Then I dimension a piece of IRW and glued it in using hide glue.
When the glue is dried, I make a rough jig for the B&D RTX rotary tool to sit on.
And clamp 2 Aluminium bar as a rail for the RTX.
After double and triple check I route the new slot in 3 -4 passes.
The end result is a new straight slot at 652mm.

I reuse the same saddle and check the intonation.
The E Bass was dead on, probably about 653mm I refile the edge forward a bit, it was all the way t to the back initially.
The rest is slight sharp but not too noticeable.
All and all a well done :)

While waiting for the glue to dry I redid the headstock.
I cut the string slot from curve ramp to become square ramp as per my other guitars.
Also I chisel the Torres 3 lopes for the headstock.
Now what's left will be to do the pore filling and then French Polish.



Square up the slot.


Glue a piece of IRW into the existing slot with hide glue.

Wait for the glue to dry.


Plane the the excess IRW


Leveled flush and slightly gleaming.


The roughly made (but works) jig: just a base for the RTX to ride on. The Al bars act as the rail guide.


Checking the points of routing.


Start routing in 3-4 passes. Going deeper at each pass


Slot done.


With the original saddle. I file the leading edge forward abit.


Saw the straight ramp. 2 cuts at each side.


Chisel the waste away. The line act as a guide to know where to start.


Slot ramp done.


Headstock Torres 3 lop shape done. Need to sand it smooth though. I chisel while the string is on :) Lazy to remove them.

No comments: