Custom Search

2011-02-02

New Plane Iron Upgrade from Lee Valley

I bought new a A2 plane iron / chipbreaker set from Lee Valley for my #4 Stanley smoother.
The chip breaker is about .125" thick made of O1 iron and the plane iron is about .1" thick
I didn't sharpen or hone it; it looks and feels sharp out of the box.
I had a test run on some pine (softwood) and it shaves like butter, thin slice some more.
Anyway I need to re tune the frog to adjust for the new iron / chipbreaker set.
I have to try it on IRW 1st will report back the finding on the performance of the new iron.

Here are the pics:

My new plane iron  / chipbreaker

The Lee Valley A2 plane iron

The Veritas chipbreaker
(Veritas is same as LV)

The plane and iron

L (the stock blade and chipbreaker)
R (the upgraded LV set)
It is noticeably thicker and feels good also

No comments: