Custom Search

2010-08-11

Jointing the Top

Jointing the top
Well it's been a while since my last post and I have cleaning up my work bench.
Done up a rack for storing all my tools and woods but haven't sticker the woods in place yet.

Finally I choose a day where there was no rain to do the top plate jointing.
Using the same was as the back, I shoot the top and prepare to do the jointing using HHG (hot hide glue).

I prepare all the thing that I need and heat up the HHG (prepared previously)
  • Top plates
  • Jointing Jig / wedges
  • HHG with baby food warmer
  • Glue brush
  • Rope
  • Mallet for hammering in the wedges
  • Hygrometer


So I started the jointing process and with HHG I had to work fast (so no pics...)
I first laid the paper towel (to be scrapped /planed away after jointing).
Making sure the edge is the correct edge, I proceed to apply the HHG to the wood
and lay the wood on the bottom part of the jig.
Then I covered it with the top with some more paper towel and the top part of the jig
and started to tie them up.
Finally using the mallet I hammer in the wedges to tighten up the joint.
All in all it took me just less than 5 minutes to assemble the joint.
Then I proceed to clean up excess glue using some warm water.



Preparing the necessary materials / jigs / tools


HHG


Glue join and tie them up


Hammer the wedge to get a tighter joint


The joint close up view


After the next day, I remove the wedges and ropes.
When I wait for the glues to settle, I blew the dehumidifier at the top driving the RH down to 45%.


Removing the wedge and loosening the ropes


The top jointed


Looks good


The whole top

Jointing the back
I joint the back too the same way I joint the top.
But this time round I managed to find some wax paper.
It's actually the backing for stickers.
When I remove the strings, the paper didn't stick to the back at all.
The back's joint seam is not as good as the top, but luckily there will be a reinforcement strip (behind) and a backstrip inlay (front) in the middle seam.


Preparing the glue. The wax paper in place


All glued up, the dehumidifier driving the RH to about 43%


Glued back


The glued back with the plantilla drawn


Top and back

No comments: